Workshop: Psychology for UX and Product Design
A remote or in person workshop with your team on how to use psychology to improve your website, app and design process.
A practical, hands on way to understand how the human brain works and apply that knowledge to user experience and product design. Learn the psychological principles behind how our brain makes sense of the world and apply that to product design and create easy to use, innovative products.
We’ll look at two frameworks; one to supercharge the UI and the second to design, plan and launch innovative new features and ideas.
What you’ll learn
Through a series of fun, practical exercises you’ll learn:
- Psychology and interaction design. A framework to evaluate and design interactions such as onboarding, search, navigation and eCommerce using psychology.
- Psychology and user experience. A second framework that can help you evaluate and improve the user experience of your digital products. How humans perceive and understand the world around them and how to build innovative product around that framework.
- Psychology and the dark arts. Persuasive design, cognitive biases and other brain hacks. Do they really work? How to apply them in product design. What are the ethics of applying psychology to digital design.
I am a trained, experienced teacher so expect to be sketching, designing and applying the psychology from the very start of the workshop. I’ve been working remotely for 5 years and can deliver the workshop over 4 x 2 hour sessions to you and your team wherever you are.
After the workshop
You’ll be able to confidently:
- Design products, apps and websites that match how people think and behave
- Find, understand, evaluate and apply psychology theory to digital product design
- Have your own ethical framework for designing using psychology
- Make better, informed design decisions and advocate to the wider team using psychology theory
Come to the workshop and you’ll be able to put psychology into practice as soon as you get back to your desk.
Joe wrote the book Psychology for Designers
Get in touch to book a remote workshop for your company:
Get in touch and let’s arrange a time to talk. I will set aside 90 minutes (free of course) so we really get to understand each other and how we can work together.
Get in touch:
Upcoming I’m running public workshops remotely in January 2021 with Business of Software
About your trainer
I have spent the last 15 years working in UX with organisations like eBay, MoMA, Marriott and Disney. I have a degree in Neuroscience and an MSc in Human Computer Interaction.
I was a primary / elementary school teacher before this internet thing took-off so expect fun, games and practical stuff; no boring lectures and an endless PowerPoint.
- Remote (Smashing Conf & Behaviour in Design Conf) – June 2020, SOLD OUT
- San Fransisco, USA (Mind the Product) – July 2019 SOLD OUT
- Bristol, UK, (Private company) – December 2018 EXCLUSIVE
- Toronto, Ca, (Smashing Conf) – June 2018 SOLD OUT
- London, UK, (Private company) – April 2018 EXCLUSIVE
- London, UK (Mind the Product) – October 2018 SOLD OUT
Previous workshop feedback
It was an excellent workshop that was well paced, engaging and allowed us to put our learnings into practice. It was one of the best workshops I’ve attended.
Joe was one of the most engaging teachers and provided thoughtful examples of how to apply psychology not just to product (for users) but also in the boardroom managing stakeholders.
Great pace, great speaker, hands on. Lots of fun and very engaging.
Joe is a brilliant teacher
[I] Never thought learning psychology could be that much fun! Joe’s workshop is fun, social and highly practical, now I can use psychology in my daily design life!
Workshops in your Workplace / Remotely for your Team
I can come into your workplace and work with your team and together we can use psychology to supercharge your product. The workshop also works well remotely being split into 4 x 2 hour sessions using tools like Zoom and Miro to work together and in break out groups.
I can come into your workplace and work with your team on how to use psychology to supercharge your product. Get in touch if you’d like to run a private workshop for your team.
I also run a workshop on Jobs to be Done (JTBD) for product innovation and strategy.